Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (22): Reboot by Amy Tintera

Waiting on Wednesday
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating!
Title: Reboot
Author: Amy Tintera
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.
Add to Goodreads
This is one of the times when I'm truly a cover-whore. I love how simple the cover is, yet managing to leave a distinct impression on one browsing covers. The colour scheme is bold, but not blindingly so, and creates a wholly sci-fi atmosphere around the book. As well, the lines dropping down to numbers make me think of bar codes and wonder whether or not it holds a significance to the story. I especially like the bar code above the title, as well as how the lines drop down to emphasize the numbers 1, 7, and 8. And the fonts! Don't get me wrong, I love Celtic fonts and flourished cursives, but that does get on my nerves if they're not used right, but the text here is wonderful. It holds true to the cover scheme, but doesn't overwhelm it. It's not afraid to leave spaces around it.

And the blurby catchphrase. How can someone resist that?

Of course, I love dystopia. Though I'm starting to get a little wary about a lot of books since my taste has changed so drastically from what I liked before I started blogging, I do want to enjoy it though the story sounds mildly . . . cliché. I love the idea of revived super-soldiers, which are like zombies except with less rotting and quite a bit more athletic prowess.

What are you waiting on this week? Link me up!
Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.