Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: Bewitched by Mark Jay Harris

Title: Bewitched
Author: Mark Jay Harris
Series: The Thaumaturgy #1
Release Date: March 1, 2013
ISBN13: 9780985656294
Format: eBook, 389 pages
Genre: YA, urban fantasy, romance
Source: blog tour

Is it love or is it witchcraft? He’ll never find out if he kills her first.

The first time Darren saw Samantha, she was floating above his high school gymnasium during a basketball game, invisible to everyone but him. Next time he sees her, she's sitting in front of him in class, wowing his friends and causing unexplainable things to happen that only he seems to notice. But things really get strange (and complicated) when his dying grandfather tells him that he is part of an ancient order, the “Pessum Ire,” whose duty is to destroy witches. What does he do now, since he’s almost positive Samantha is a witch…and he’s crushing on her pretty hard?
Bewitched is urban fantasy story told from a male perspective. Darren's just a typical teenage boy, but with a less than happy life at home. His brother's dead, and his parents have withdrawn into a half-life. How could it get worse? What's even worse is that he's actually part of this "magical" group that makes him think his family's bonkers.

To be completely honest, I liked Darren's perspective, but just liked. Though Mark Jay Harris created a comfortable character to read, I didn't feel like he had that grit of a teenage boy. Darren's monologue and dialogue didn't feel entirely real, and while I find that alright, he could've used an extra edge to make Darren a real character that I could sympathize with and connect to.

While I do find Darren's character a bit lacking in the "real" sense, I admire Harris' ability to mesh different characters together in a way that creates texture. Do you know what I'm talking about? No? In simpler words, Harris creates characters to provide different feelings, different atmospheres for his readers. That's something to be admired.

As a conclusion, yes, Bewittched may have some points that can do with a bit of improvement, but for a first novel, this is a truly exciting read. The world-building, different characters can all easily suck one in, and I'm glad that Inkspell Publishing, who are amazing, gave me this opportunity to be a tour host for Bewitched!

Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.