Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Review: A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan

Title: A Girl Named Digit
Author: Annabel Monaghan
Series: Digit #1
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Release Date: June 5, 2012
ISBN13: 9780547668529
Format: hardcover
Genre: YA, romance, contemporary, chick lit
Source: borrowed from library
Farrah Higgins started high school with one thing on her mind: ditching the math geek image that earned her the name Digit in middle school. By her senior year she’d figured out how to fake normal and fit in with the It Girls of Samohi. And it was all good, if exhausting, until she noticed some faint numbers in the corner of her TV screen and cracked the communications system of a murderous eco-terror organization. Kidnapped by the FBI for her own protection, half in love with her captor and running for her life… can she end world terror and get life back to normal before the prom?

Farrah, or rather, Digit is a math prodigy. An absolute genius with numbers. She's trying to live a normal teenager's life, and it's working out great - until some numbers begin to show up randomly on TV. To a normal person, it's just a jumble of random numbers; to Farrah, they're a sequence, a pattern, a code to crack. Before she knows it, she's forced under the FBI's protection, with an eco-terrorist organization hot on her heels. As for her chaperone? He's a super hot agent that she just can't get enough of.

A Girl Named Digit was certainly interesting, and incorporated something really cool - the Fibonacci sequence. While I could've done more with the math, not only to keep things interesting but also to build on Farrah's character as a math genius. The run away, hide, repeat thing got a bit repetitive, though it was necessary as towards the end of the story I found out about the importance of it. What bothered me the most was how Farrah began saying the L-word when she and John had only met days ago. Otherwise, it was fine.

Farrah has two names: Farrah, for one of Charlie's angels, and Digit, for her ability in math. Though in this story she was taught slowly to embrace her nerd-dom and nickname, I've always thought of her as Farrah. Why? Farrah is the girl that moons over John. Digit is the badass girl that can see mathematical patterns in everything. I was a bit surprised at how her character turned out, and though it didn't meet my expectations of her, she wasn't a bad character at all. She was bubbly, sweet, slightly off-kilter, and absolutely lovable.

In the end, while I really found a lot of the things in A Girl Named Digit disappointing, I enjoyed it very much, and would definitely pick up Double Digit to read later on.
If you like this, you might like: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody

Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.