Saturday, October 27, 2012

Haunted Week 2012: Back from the Grave

{This Girl Reads}

Haunted Week 2012 is an event hosted by Cheyenne at This Girl Reads spanning the week of Halloween with daily punny posts from yours truly, moi. Links to all of my posts can be found on this post: Introduction: Haunted Week 2012.

{This Girl Reads}

Did you have a childhood favourite? Today I'll be posting a few of the favourite books of my childhood!

1) The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Obviously I won't be posting the titles, covers, and blurbs all thirteen books of the series, but I loved Lemony Snicket's books, and still do. I love its dark humor, the complete and utter feel of impending doom, and the three Baudelaire siblings!

P. S. Just in case you didn't know, Lemony Snicket is the pen name of Daniel Handler, author of Why We Broke Up.


2) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family . . .

Beloved master storyteller Neil Gaiman returns with a luminous new novel for the audience that embraced his New York Times bestselling modern classic Coraline. Magical, terrifying, and filled with breathtaking adventures, The Graveyard Book is sure to enthrall readers of all ages.

I'll be honest. I haven't read Coraline yet because I was too darn terrified, only its graphic novel adaptation. You cannot imagine how incredibly enchanting and creepy Neil Gaiman's writing is. In The Graveyard Book I sat enraptured in the story, watching Bod grow up, and never let go of it.


3) The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley

The Sisters Grimm series was what sparked my interest in modern adaptations of fairy tales. It's definitely appropriate for preteens, with adventure, family conflicts, and a dash of that awfully sweet romance. I looked it up just now and found that the last book came out just a few months ago, and I NEED TO READ IT.

4) May Bird by Jodi Lynn Anderson
May Bird is a series/trilogy that I read as a preteen and would love to read again. It surrounds destiny, belonging, and adventure. It ends off with this one beautiful sacrificial character that's too complex for us to truly know everything about. *Sobs*

A spoof on the three little pigs story, this time told from the wolf's point of view. Lane Smith also illustrated Hallowe'en ABC which was one of The New York Times Best Illustrated Books of the Year.
To parents: You have to read this to your child. It puts a brand new spin onto the original Three Little Pigs tale.

Did you have a book that you loved as a kid? Post your answers below!



Thank you so much for wanting to leave a comment! I read every single one of them, and respond to most of them!

I'm honoured that anyone would want to nominate me for an award, but I just don't have time for that anymore. This blog is award and tag free.